|Born||25 Sep 1837, Orange Twp, Delaware Co., OH|
|Married||25 Jan 1865, Delaware County, OH|
|Died||5 Nov 1903, Warren, OH|
|Buried||Galena Cemetery, Galena, OH|
Truman Beard was born on 25 September 1837 in Orange Township in Delaware County, Ohio. While never listed together on the census, he is apparently the son of Nathaniel and Hannah (Case) Beard according to other sources. He had three brothers, Gordon, Jason, and Roswell.
On 3 June 1861, Truman mustered into Company C of the 4th Regiment OVI and mustered out with the unit on 21 June 1864. Upon his return to Ohio, he married Sarah Ann Bierce on 25 January 1865 in Delaware County, Ohio. Together, they had five sons, George, Josephus, Fred, John, and Arthur. During his life, Truman worked as a blacksmith and a mail carrier.
On 5 November 1903,1 Truman died while visiting his son George in Warren, Ohio of dropsy. His wife Sarah died on 13 July 1912. They are buried in the Galena Cemetery in Galena, Delaware, Ohio.
The map to the left shows Truman's home in 1866 along Harrison Street in Galena.
- Huber, William. Truman Beard: A Galena Civil War Veteran. Web. 2010. http://bigwalnuthistory.org/Local_History/Cemeteries/galena/CivWar/Beard.htm
- Truman Beard, 05 Nov 1903. “Ohio, County Death Records, 1840-2001.” Database with images. FamilySearch. Reference book 3 page 28. Roll 391371. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVN3-S8J7.
- Myers, Ted. Truman H. Beard. Find a Grave, 4 Aug 2009. Web. 26 Sep 2015.
- Roster Commission. Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865. Vol. II. Cincinnati: Wilstach, Baldwin & Co, 1886. Print.
- Truman Beard and Sarah Bierce, 25 Jan 1865. “Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-2013.” Database with images. FamilySearch. Reference 240. Roll 391396. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XDPP-JF7.
- 1880, Ohio, Delaware, Galena Village. Enumeration District 112, Page 34. 23 June, 1880. Beard, Truman, Line 45. Roll 1012.
- 1870, Ohio, Delaware, Berkshire Township, Beard, Truman, 7 July 1870, Roll M593, Page 27, Line 18.
- 1900, Ohio, Delaware, Berkshire Township. Enumeration District 23, Sheet 8. 7 June 1900. Beard, Truman, Line 21. Roll 1263.
- “Visitor Dies - Mr. Truman Beard Dies at His Son’s Home while Visiting him in Warren, OH.” Daily Journal-Herald Delaware 6 Nov 1903. Microform. Delaware County Newspapers.
- Sarah Beard, 13 July 1912. “Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953.” Database with images. FamilySearch. Reference fn 37440. Roll 1953422. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X867-V9Z.
- Beers, F. W. Atlas of Delaware Co Ohio. Map. [ca. 20 rods to the inch]. New York: Beers, Ellis & Soule, 1866.
Huber, William. Truman Beard: A Galena Civil War Veteran. Web. 2010. http://bigwalnuthistory.org/Local_History/Cemeteries/galena/CivWar/Beard.htm