|Born||24 Jan 1812, Delaware, OH|
|Married||15 Dec 1864, Shelby County, OH|
|Married to||Sarah M. Henry|
|Died||4 Oct 1901, Delaware, OH.|
|Buried||Oak Grove Cemetery, Delaware, OH|
|Enlisted on||4 Jun 1861|
James Madison Crawford was born in the city of Delaware, Ohio on 11 June 1834 to Colonel James W and Nancy S (Stevens) Crawford. He was one of several children to his parents, his siblings being Lucretia, Hugh, John, Nancy, and Josephine (Flora). His parents lived in Delaware on Sandusky Street between North and Bumford. This home is pictured to the right in the center of the map.
His father fought in the War of 1812, which may be the cause of James’ desire to raise a company in Delaware to fight in the Civil War. He did so in Delaware on 16 April 1861. He officially enlisted on 4 June 1861 with his company, and was discharged on 14 Nov 1862 at Washington D.C. due to a surgeon’s certificate of disability. The discharge was due to a severe and repeated hemorrhage of the lungs. On 2 May 1864, James mustered in once again, this time with Company D of the 145th OVI as Captain, this time for 100 days. He mustered out with the unit on 24 Aug 1864.
On 15 Dec 1864, he married Sarah M. Henry in her home county of Shelby County, OH. James was a painter before going to war, and returned to this trade afterwards. He also served as the United States’ Revenue Assessor for Delaware County for five years as well. After this period he sold real estate and insurance until 1884. At this point, James and Sarah were given the position of Superintendent and Matron for the Girls’ Industrial School where they served largely until 1892. Around this time, James was a resident at 177 N Sandusky Street in Delaware. When he retired from the school, James began promoting the Delaware Street Railroad and was head of its construction. He then became interested in the Delaware Springs Sanitarium, and built his home near it which he called, ‘Five Oaks’. James was also a Mason at the Hiram Lodge and a member of the William Street Church in downtown Delaware, OH.
- "Col. JJames M. Crawford [sic]." Journal-Herald Delaware Ohio. 11 Jan 1920. Microform. Delaware County Newspapers.
- 1850, Ohio, Delaware, Delaware Town, 1 Aug 1850, Roll M432, Page 174b, Line 17.
- 1860, Ohio, Delaware, The Village of Delaware, 30 July 1860, Roll M653, Page 255, Line 4.
- Williams, C. S. Williams’ Delaware Directory, City Guide, and Business Mirror. Volume 1. – 1859-’60. Delaware, OH: B. Dickinson & Son, 1859. 69.
- Beers, F. W. Atlas of Delaware Co Ohio. Map. New York: Beers, Ellis & Soule, 1866.
- Roster Commission. Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865. Vol. II. Cincinnati: Wilstach, Baldwin & Co, 1886. Page 96. Print
- —. Portrait Gallery of Prominent Persons of Delaware County, Ohio, with Biographical Narratives. Mansfield, OH: The Biographical Publishing Company, 1891.
- Roster Commission. Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1866. Vol. IX. Cincinnati: The Ohio Valley Press, 1889. Print. Page 67.
- James M Crawford and Sarah M. Henry, 15 Dec 1864. “Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-2013.” Database with images. FamilySearch. Volume 4, page 285. Roll 562859. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XDPP-JF7
- Postal Tablet Co. The Postal Tablet Co.’s Delaware Direcory, 1890-91-92. Delaware, OH: The Postal Tablet Co., Publishers and Printers, 1890. Page 64.
- Sarah M. Crawford, 15 Aug 1903. “Ohio, County Death Records, 1840-2001.” Database with images. FamilySearch. Reference book 3 page 70. Roll 391371.
- Dave. James M Crawford. Find a Grave, 26 Nov 2006. Web. 26 Sep 2015.
- 1870, Ohio, Delaware, Delaware, 18 June 1870, Roll M593, Page 88, Line 37.
- 1880, Ohio, Delaware, Delaware City (First Ward). Enumeration District 117, Page 2. 2 June, 1880. Crawford, James M, Line 19. Roll 1012.
- 1900, Ohio, Delaware, Delaware Township. Enumeration District 28, Sheet 7. 14 June 1900. Crawford, James M, Line 1. Roll 1263.
- 1910, Ohio, Delaware, Precinct B. Enumeration District 39, Sheet 1. 15 April 1910. Crawford, James M, Line 88, Roll T624.
- 1920, Ohio, Delaware, Precinct A. Enumeration District 59, Sheet 2. 3-10 January 1920. Crawford, James M, Line 32, Roll T625.