|Died||24 Mar 1896, Newark, CA|
|Buried||San Francisco National Cemetery, San Francisco, CA|
|Enlisted on||3 June 1861|
Editor's Note: Erwin is a bit of an anomaly. His name is rarely consistent between sources. While his name is found as Erwin, Ervin, Irvin, Eirvin, and other spellings, I have chosen to stay with Erwin based on a few sources that lead me to believe this is the correct spelling. While looking at the source material for this soldier, you may see it spelled differently.
Erwin Butler McElroy was born in 1835 in Ohio. His parents were John and Maria McElroy. His father was a wagon maker, and Erwin worked in his shop. He had two brothers Amelzer and Milo, and two sisters Mary and Estella. As a child, Erwin lived on William Street between Washington and Liberty, in downtown Delaware. His father's shop, John McElroy & Son, was located on the northwest corner of Washington and William Streets. The house and shop are seen on this map to the right.
On 3 June 1861, Erwin mustered into the 4th Regiment OVI, Company C and on 26 Feb 1863 he mustered out in Columbus, Ohio based on a surgeon's certificate of disability.
Sometime around 1875, Erwin moved to Newark, Alameda, California. There he became an employee of the Electric Street Railway Company. On 24 March 1896, he died in Newark. Erwin was buried in San Francisco National Cemetery, though he has a headstone in Oak Grove Cemetery in Delaware, Ohio with his family.
- Remlinger, Rolf. Pvt Eirvin B McElroy. Find a Grave, 21 Aug 2009. Web. 26 Sep 2015.
- 1860, Ohio, Delaware, The City of Delaware, Ervin B McElroy, 26 July 1860, Roll M653, Page 222, Line 28.
- 1870, Ohio, Delaware, Delaware, 15 June 1870, McElroy, Ervin, Roll M593, Page 26, Line 14.
- 1850, Ohio, Delaware, Delaware Town, Irwin B McElroy, 1 Aug 1850, Roll M432, Page 174b, Line 17.
- Williams, C. S. Williams' Delaware Directory, City Guide, and Business Mirror. Volume 1. - 1859-'60. Delaware, OH: B. Dickinson & Son, 1859. Page35
- Beers, F. W. Atlas of Delaware Co Ohio. Map. New York: Beers, Ellis & Soule, 1866.
- Roster Commission. Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-1865. Vol. II. Cincinnati: Wilstach, Baldwin & Co, 1886. Print
- "Died in California." Democratic Herald - Delaware, OH 26 Mar 1896. Microform. Delaware County Newspapers.
- "Births - Marrigaes - Deaths." San Francisco Call 29 Mar 1896. California Digital Newspaper Collection. Web. 15 Oct 2015. http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SFC18960318.104.22.168
- "A Veteran's Funeral." San Francisco Call 29 Mar 1896. California Digital Newspaper Collection. Web. 15 Oct 2015. http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=SFC18960329.2.125
- Adriana. Pvt Erwin Butler McElroy. Find a Grave, 4 Mar 2000. Web. 11 Nov 2015.
Other Sources: California State Library, California History Section; Great Registers, 1866-1898; Collection Number: 4 - 2A; CSL Roll Number: 2; FHL Roll Number: 976447